The stratospheric dynamics journal club consists of a group of about 25 members ranging from first year PhD students to more senior researchers who meet online every 2 weeks to discuss a paper. The size of the group varies depending on the paper being discussed and the various interests of individuals but typically 6 to 10 members will be present. We meet on Thursdays at 8 am PST, 11 am EST, 1 pm Argentina, 4 pm UK, 5 pm CET, 6 pm Israel for 1.5 hours. Each participant is given a section of the paper to prepare and present. The expectation is that they will be able to explain what is being shown in the figures and to draw attention to any interesting discussion points but no one is expect to be an expert in the subject matter.
If you are interested in coming along, please email me.
List of past papers discussed
- 25 February 2021: Tropical water vapour in the lower stratosphere and its relationship to tropical/extratropical dynamical processes in ERA5. Wang et al. (2020) Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society doi:10.1002/qj.3801
- 28 January and 11 February 2021: Thermal Equilibrium of the Atmosphere with a Convective Adjustment. Manabe and Strickler (1964) Journal of Atmospheric Sciences doi:10.1175/1520-0469(1964)021&\0361:TEOTAW\&>2.0.CO;2
- 14 January 2021: 3-D tomographic observations of Rossby wave breaking over the Northern Atlantic during the WISE aircraft campaign in 2017. Krasaukas et al. (2020) ACPD doi:10.5194/acp-2020-1053
- 17 December 2020: Spatiotemporal Variability of the Southern Annular Mode and its Influence on Antarctic Surface Temperatures Wachter et al. (2020) JGR:Atmospheres doi:10.1029/2020JD033818
- 12 November and 26 November 2020: Local Finite-Amplitude Wave Activity as a Diagnostic of Anomalous Weather Events. Huang and Nakamura (2016) Journal of Atmospheric Science doi:10.1175/JAS-D-15-0194.1
- 29 October 2020: On the Mean Meridional Mass Motions of the Stratosphere and Mesosphere. Dunkerton (1978) Journal of Atmospheric Sciences doi:10.1175/1520-0469(1978)035%3C2325:OTMMMM%3E2.0.CO;2
- 8 October 2020: Representation of the equatorial stratopause semiannual oscillation in global atmospheric reanalyses. Kawatani et al. (2020) ACP doi:10.5194/acp-20-9115-2020
- 24 September 2020: Forecasting extreme stratospheric polar vortex events. Gray et al. (2020) Nature Communications doi:10.1038/s41467-020-18299-7
- 10 September 2020: Balloon‐Borne Observations of Short Vertical Wavelength Gravity Waves and Interaction With QBO Winds. Vincent and Alexander (2020) JGR Atmospheres doi:10.1029/2020JD032779
- 27 August 2020: On the Intermittency of Gravity Wave Momentum Flux in the Stratosphere. Hertzog et al. (2012) Journal of Atmospheric Sciences doi:10.1175/JAS-D-12-09.1
- 23 July 2020: Responses of Tropical Deep Convection to the QBO: Cloud-Resolving Simulations. Nie and Sobel (2015) Journal of Atmospheric Sciences doi:10.1175/JAS-D-15-0035.1
- 25 June and 9 July 2020: On the “Downward Control” of Extratropical Diabatic Circulations by Eddy-Induced Mean Zonal Forces. Haynes et al. (1991) Journal of Atmospheric Sciences doi:10.1175/1520-0469(1991)048%3C0651:OTCOED%3E2.0.CO;2
- 11 June 2020: Role of the quasi-biennial oscillation in the downward extension of stratospheric northern annular mode anomalies. Zhang et al. (2020) Climate dynamics doi:10.1007/s00382-020-05285-4